I am a chef. Currently, an unemployed chef. As a single mother, it's not easy to find a job that allows me to work "normal" hours, that allow me to be a mom and a professional. And these days, it seems like another restaurant closes every week. When I lost my job, it took me months to work up the courage to venture through the red tape and unsavory experience of applying for food stamps. I stood in line for an hour just to get the application, followed by an agonizing three hours of sitting in a crowded room awaiting the que to finally reach my number. The entire time, I sat, quietly, looking at the other faces... men, women, children.... young and old... who were apparently from every walk of life... wondering silently... "How did I get here?"... and sharing a knowing, sympathetic smile, or seeing a slow shake of the head that clearly said "Can you believe this?!", from others in the room. In these difficult economic times, we can all look into the mirror and see what the face of poverty and adversity looks like. It's us. Now what?
Next came the shock of reality. I was awarded benefits in the amount of $410.00 per month. Now, that said, up until now, I had never once worried about how much I spent on groceries. In fact, I am almost ashamed to admit, I didn't even pay attention to the price of food. I took it all for granted. I am a chef, and grocery shopping, for me, was an adventure. But I did know one thing. I had NEVER spent so little to feed myself and my two growing (and seemingly always ravenously hungry!) sons. How could I POSSIBLY do it all on that type of budget?
The first month was a challenge, to say the least. I was careful, but I still ran out of money before reaching the month's end. It was time to learn how to navigate the aisles as a savvy shopper. But how?! I started by signing up for my grocery store's e-vic program. Every week, my local grocery store, Harris Teeter, sends an email with the weekly sale items, and allows you to generate a shopping list at the same time. Hmmm... this just might work! But it meant that I had to actually put a little thought and planning into my grocery shopping. In the past I tended to shop in the European tradition of a daily trip to the market. Which, while appealing, it also leads to more impulse buying, and waste. I had to learn how to plan my attack. And plan I did!
I found an almost giddy pleasure in seeing how far I could stretch my budget, while creating delicious, healthy meals for my family. But it took careful planning and strategy! For example, when boneless, skinless chicken breasts (an invaluable staple!) go on sale for buy one/get two FREE (!!!), I load up my freezer. The same with fish, shellfish, ground beef, frozen vegetables, juice, and on and on. Suddenly I found that my pantry and my refrigerator and freezer were full. I felt a newfound sense of pride in having become a savvy shopper. And somehow, took pleasure in the thrill of the hunt. Granted, it's not like finding a really hot pair of shoes on sale in your size.... but wait... in retrospect... it's even better!
In addition to having become a more careful shopper, I found that I had also become more creative in my cooking. While I do have a very large collection of cookbooks (one of my passions, which I read like novels, for inspiration), I rarely cook from them. I'm more of a "fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants" kind of cook. I create more from instinct and experimentation. There's an old saying, that out of adversity comes inginuity. For me, that has been true. And it's been a fun and exciting journey. I have created many new recipes which have earned rave reviews from family and friends.
Speaking of those family and friends....
For years, I've listened to people tell me that they either don't have time to cook from scratch, or they really just don't know how. That has always baffled me. In my experience, cooking from scratch usually only takes a few extra moments, and is much less expensive than buying prepared foods. And needless to say, is so much more tasty! I've always enjoyed sharing my passion and my knowledge for cooking with others. And so, that is my goal in creating this blog. I want to share my knowledge and my recipes for creating wonderful meals while on a budget.
As for the time issue.... well, if you are on food stamps, the odds are that you are out of work (like me), with more time on your hands. And after spending hours online looking at job postings, I'm usually dazed and depressed. Cooking is theraputic. I wander into the kitchen, turn on some music, and get lost in the process... the tantalizing flavors... the aromas... and the visual beauty of a delightfully presented meal. Aside from that is the sense of accomplishment and nurturing that a wonderful meal provides us all. So, come along on this culinary journey with me. Learn new skills... Explore new foods and flavors... Savor your time with family and friends around the dining table... look at those faces, and count your blessings.
I hope that you will enjoy my ramblings and recipes, and send a comment with your own thoughts and experiences. Are you looking for recipes with a certain ingredient? Let me know, I love a challenge!
Bon Appetit!
No comments:
Post a Comment